This dish is vegan or vegetarian, contains the heart healthy ancient grain quinoa, the cancer fighting cruciferous vegetable brussel sprouts, and is high in heart healthy fats (think beautiful hair, nails, and skin!). It’s topped with metabolism revving cayenne and black pepper with a pinch of sea salt. It’s savory, satisfying, and delectable.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Crispy Brussel Sprouts and Ancient Grains with a Savory Protein Punch
5 Ingredients 30 Minutes 4 Servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa (I prefer Bob’s Red Mill Organic Tri-Color)
- 2 cups brussel sprouts
- 1 cup walnuts (vegan) OR 4 Eggs (vegetarian)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (vegan) or ghee (vegetarian)
- Spices: cayenne, black pepper, and sea salt
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package.
- Cut brussel sprouts in half, lengthwise.
- Place brussel sprouts and 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee in a saute pan at medium/ high heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At medium heat, in a separate saute pan, place olive oil or ghee and allow to heat (1-2 minutes).
- If using walnuts, toss in the pan with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- If using eggs, fry or scramble according to your liking.
- Once quinoa, brussel sprouts, and eggs are prepared, portion and layer them in four individual bowls: Quinoa first, then brussel sprouts, followed by walnuts or egg, and topped with cayenne, black pepper, and a dash of sea salt.
You are ready to eat!
Delicious, savory, and satisfying!
Developing the Recipe
Originally I developed this recipe as a breakfast item, recreating my favorite dish from a local breakfast spot in Stanley, Idaho called Stanley Baking Co. After experimenting with the recipe on several occasions, and thoroughly enjoying the byproduct, I came to the realization that this recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, or dinner item. What’s better than a recipe you can use for any time of day and any occasion?!